[BC] TV Set/Converter

Bruce Doerle bdoerle at mail.ucf.edu
Tue Jan 1 08:20:04 CST 2008

There are a lot of variables in constrains.  It is kind of hard to make a definitive answer.

Firstly, you are going to find the reception quality of rabbit ears much better with digital than analog: you either have it or you don't!

The only converter box I have seen is made by Samsung and runs around $150 at Best Buy.  That is a sizable chunk of change that could be put towards a new LCD TV.  The LCDs and Plasmas take up so much less space and are so light that your friend will be happy with that choice.  The only thing I would caution you on is the selection of the TV.  Not all brands are equal.  Do some research on line on the manufacturer first before you plunk down the money.  You will see a history of manufacturer's service issues and may steer you away from some.  For example, I was thinking about buying an Olevia 32" LCD at Target on the Black Friday; they had it for $549.  Then I did some research and the service problems made me look elsewhere. I did luck out and bought a 40" Samsung LN-4066 instead at a very good Black Friday price.  You have to keep your eyes open and do some research.  Brands like LG, Sony, and Samsung have solid products; off-brands may be more problems than your friend may want.

>>> "Ronald Johnson" <w2wu at verizon.net> 1/1/2008 7:36 AM >>>
A friend with limited fiscal resources and constrained to a "rabbit ears"
antenna. The lease prohibits an external antenna, or any wall atachments.
How well would a converter box work and what will it cost verses purchase of
a new TV. Cable TV is expensive, but not totally excluded, if its the sole
option.

As an option, I've been asked to recommend a smaller HDTV full resolution
screen (about 20-30 inches.) Any purchase must be cost effective, reliable,
and not subject to next generation obsolescence.

Next question? What type of display offers a long term , non shifting
display? Plasma, LCD, LED'S or the reliable CRT? Internet searches prove
confusing. Consumer periodicals aren't much better.