[BC] Re: Long Lines Broadcast facilities

RLO2L at aol.com RLO2L at aol.com
Tue Jan 1 09:36:27 CST 2008

In a message dated 12/31/2007 8:48:14 P.M. Central Standard Time,
dlh at donnahalper.com writes:

Sorry if  this is a dumb question, but I don't know the history of
technology as  well as I know the history of the programs and the
people who did  them.

Donna:

I began my career in November of 1960 as one of Ma Bell's children.

My first job was as a central office craftsman in the Fort Wayne, Indiana
Central Office.

Fort Wayne was a side-leg off of the New York - Chicago physical  cables. We
also had a number of telephone carrier systems including TD-2  microwave/L-
carrier, N and ON carrier and some K-carrier down to  Indianapolis.

Ft. Wayne was a feed for all of the major radio and television broadcasters
in out area with the ABC, CBS, NBC and Mutual broadcasting networks.

These main feeds were typically a class that provided service from 30  Hz.
flat up through 8.0 kHz. and no more than 1.0 dB deviation up to 15 kHz! The
program amplifiers were spaced along the cable systems at repeater stations that
 were typically up to 30-35 miles apart.

A good source for greater details on this information would be the
"Principles of Electricity applied to Telephone and Telegraph Work. Published by  L.L.
Department of AT&T. My copy is the 1953 edition!

Hope this is helpful.

Russel L.  O'Toole, P.C.
R&M Consulting

31 Ponderosa  Drive