[BC] question for you engineers

Bob Tarsio Bob at Broadcast-Devices.com
Tue Jan 1 10:58:48 CST 2008

If the show was live and it wasn't done over the telephone network then the
listener letters might well have been pre recorded on acetate disk. It would
have been a simple production matter in the control room to facilitate this
for a live broadcast.

If it were done live telephones of the day like today had hybrid circuits in
them so isolation of the caller audio would have been much like it is today
but with less isolation I suspect.

Bob Tarsio
President

www.Broadcast-Devices.com

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Donna Halper
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 01:08
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] question for you engineers

At 11:51 PM 12/31/2007, you wrote:

> >When a phone call leaves the local exchange for
> >other exchanges, it's split into separate transmit and receive paths.
>
>A standard channel (1/24 th of a T-1) provides a 64 kbps transmit path
>and a 64 kbps receive path, the same bandwidth in both directions.

Would that have been the state of the art back in the late 1930s?  As
I understand it, affiliates of NBC had fans of the program (America's
Town Meeting of the Air) come to the studios to listen as a
group.  Usually, they just listened and enjoyed the show, with a
local facilitator to discuss things with.  But sometimes, the show's
moderator in NY would have a listener's fan letter read on the air,
and from what I was told, the fan him or herself got to read it. I
was just trying to figure out how, because the one transcribed show I
heard, it sounded like pretty good quality for a phone line, assuming
it was done via telephone.