[BC] Short AM Tower-POLNET

PeterH5322 peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Fri Jan 4 22:55:05 CST 2008

>There is a new state law (IL.) which trumps certain local home rule
>ordinances and sets the maximum at 200 ft. before many special restrictions
>can apply.  It's the result of a really heavy duty lobbying done by the
>cell  industry to establish some consistency across the jurisdictions.

When KFI went to rebuild its destroyed 750 feet tower, the local agencies
demanded a 10 percent reduction in the physical height of what was
already an undersized radiator.

750 feet (176 degrees) down to 675 feet (158 degrees).

In order to regain at least the minimum Class A efficiency (the original
radiator was barely conforming), top loading was proposed, in the form of
a hexagonal "hat" some 50 feet in diameter, heavily reinforced.

Structural considerations on account of presence of the "hat" meant that
the radiator cross-section would have to be dramatically greater, eight
feet as I recall, in order to resist the static and the dynamic loads
presented by the "hat".

As a greater cross-section actually increases the electrical height, the
result will be a radiator with an electrical height of slightly over 181
degrees.

The applicant stated that its intention was to replace the old radiator
"in kind", and that the new, shorter radiator would be significantly more
expensive than an "in kind" replacement.