[BC] RE: FM Power Amplifiers

Mike McCarthy Towers at mre.com
Sun Jan 6 16:52:12 CST 2008

Potentially.  There are ranges in which some manufacturers design their
boxes.  Just like  ERI and their ranges (low, med and high).  There are
enough performance tradeoffs which one must accept sacrifices in a totally
broadband TX.  Recall the Harris FM20H series boxes didn't like the low or
super high end of the bands either because the cavity was being stretched
to the limit.  The 1/2 wave folded cavity doesn't suffer that problem as
the design allows for optimized tuning of the whole cavity. I know Harris Z
plane boxes will work across the band with no adjustment.  But at the
expense of heating in the combiners.  Nautel chose to not make that
sacrifice.  I can't speak for BE since I've  installed only a couple of
their newer TX's and have not researched their boxes.

Also, there may be issues in the LPF.  I recall reading in the Nautel FM
series manual about retuning and there were also some minor component
changes in certain stages as well. I can't say anything to that effect on
the V series boxes except the RF jumpers.  But the V series are in three
overlapping ranges just like the FM series which it succeeded.

MM

At 02:39 PM 1/6/2008 -0500, wpio wrote