[BC] Websites

tpt at literock93r.com tpt at literock93r.com
Tue Jan 8 06:37:26 CST 2008

The "back story" here is that my 34 year old Harris 2.5H3 melted its
plate loading capacitor.  One would think such an aged and experienced
transmitter would avoid overdosing on electrons, but, hey, it happens..

So I started looking for a replacement. Luckily we hat this
transmitter's younger sibling sitting as a backup at our other
station, so I robbed the air variable out of that box and got the 2.5H
up at a kilowatt. Quite adequate coverage at this level for an
over-height Class A. Our antenna height/ antenna combination needed
2450 watts TPO, so my search for a new transmitter was in the range of
2.5~3.5 kw.

My first stop was at the manufacturer's websites, hence the subject of
this post. None of the transmitters I'm now considering appeared on
their manufacturer's website. I wrote off one firm (Nautel) because
(apparently) they only offered a kilowatt or a five kilowatt, nothing
in between.

As it turns out, (see Jeff Welton's post in the Tech Assist archives)
Nautel not only has a kilowatt, but also paired kilowatts that will do
2.8 analog, and a 3.5 kw. Jeff claims the 2.8 kw model--a "V-2" is on
their website, but darned if I can find it.

So, some advice for manufacturers on their websites:

1. Guys who do websites are not engineers, nor do they think like
them. We think in straight lines, their thoughts start with French
curves and get more convoluted from there.

2. The marketing guys get involved.  I realize managers like glossy
brochures with pretty pictures.  Fine, keep those as linked PDF's

3. Give the rest of us a page that has the critical information:

A: What models do you have and the power ranges?

B:  A front and back picture, especially for the smaller transmitters.
  Nice to know where the feedline will come off the box so we can plan
the plumbing.  Same with ventilation. Remember the old adage that
pictures are worth a thousand words.

In my area we have a number of mountain-top (well, hill-top) sites
with not much room for the transmitters.  On the other hand, the
height means some respectable facilities may only need a kilowatt or
two.  Saw one recently that shared space with a cable TV/paging
headend, their 500 watt box was in the same rack with the  paging
set-up. So a good picture is important.

C: Dimensions of the entire transmitter set-up, including combiners,
etc. If your design wants some space between amplifiers, or separate
power supplies, mention it. Some of us like everything in one box,
some of us like separate boxes for the combiners, power supplies, etc.
because it is easier for one man to handle.  You have what you have,
can't please everyone.

D. Of course, the spec. sheet with all the fine print.