[BC] MORE WESTINGHOUSE 50 HG

DHultsman5 at aol.com DHultsman5 at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 22:28:06 CST 2008

In a message dated 1/8/2008 6:35:39 PM Central Standard Time,
stanleybadams at yahoo.com writes:

> WAS IT DRIVEN BY 5 KW UNIT LIKE GE, RCA AND WESTERN ELECTRIC?  ALSO LOOKING
> FOR MORE INFO ON STATIONS THAT HAD THIS RADIO..

The Western Electric transmitters were mostley modulated in a low level RF
stage by modulating the grid of and RF driver tube.  After that stage the
amplifier following were normally linear or of Doherity design.

Early RCA transmitter were not plate modulated and used linears to achieve
their high power at low efficiencies.   I am not certain which RCA was the first
50 kW. Plate modulated rig the 50E or the 50F.

In the case of all Western Electric transmitter until the last of their line
and the first of the Continental line, the modulation was done by varying the
bias on the peak tube and the carrier tube..   If you had a 5 kW. rig that rig
had a 5 kW. Doherity amplifier,  ie: the WE 405A/B series transmitter was the
driver for the WE 407, 50 kW.  There were two Doherity amplifier one at 5 kw.
driving another for 50 kW.

In the case of early RCA transmitters a 5 kW. transmitter would use the
modyulator as an audio driver to the 50 kW. Class B modulator tubes.  The 5 kW. RF
stage typically an 891 or 892 drove the parallel tube Class C RF stage
modulated by the above. In this way the lower power transmitter was used in the
higher power transmitter.

In the case of the Collins 20V series 1 kW. transmitter the 4-400's in the
modulators were changed  to drive the Modulator grids of the Class B modulator
in the 21E & 21M, 5 and 10 kW. transmitters.  The first cabinet was the RF and
audio driver for the 5/10 kW. modulator and PA stages.

Nearly all RCA's from the late '40's till the low power 5L and 10L  Lower
power Amplifiers used the RCA 1 kW. cabinet as an RF driver and a modulator
driver in their higher power 5 and 10 kW. rigs.

Dave