[BC] MORE WESTINGHOUSE 50 HG

Jeff Johnson jeff at rfproof.com
Wed Jan 9 00:43:47 CST 2008

Yes, the W.E. 50 kW at WLW was used as the driver for the 500 kW. According
to Clyde Haehnle, who was working for WLW during the last years of
'experimental' 500 kW transmissions from midnight until 2:00 AM (as I
recall) in the early '40s, the W.E. was run without modulation simply as
the driver. An error that was published in my Radio Guide article in
October stated that the W.E. was run at 25 kW. Clyde told me that it was
run at its full 50 kW with 25 kW dumped to a dummy load and 25 kW driving
the 500 kW plate modulated final. By not lowering the TPO of the W.E.,
Clyde said that retuning was therefore unnecessary when transferring to the
500 kW and back.

Jeff.Johnson at rfproof.com, CSRE
RFPROOF.COM