[BC] IT troubles

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Wed Jan 9 11:48:26 CST 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 09:05 pm, RichardBJohnson at comcast.net wrote:
 >  I just found out today that everything I have been writing on the
 >  Internet from work, has been recorded and archived. No --they are not
 >  picking on me, just EVERYBODY at the company I can't mention because
 >  they PAY for a service that scans the Internet, looking for new
 >  occurrences of that name!!! Now, if I try to use the most common
 >  search engine, Google, I get the same "access denied" message I'd get
 >  if I tried to access http://www.Playboy.com/ from work! I guess 'IT"
 >  thinks they are the same.

  The incompetency of many IT departments is becoming legendary.
  Still, in any corporate environment, it's a good idea to assume that
  ALL traffic is monitored, even if it's not !

  It's just ONE of the reasons that for myself, I bring my own machine,
  and tunnel to my own machines back home for anything.
  Monitor all you wish. All you'll find is a non-standard encrypted
  channel point to point within that corporate environment.

  If I'm forced to use a corporate machine for any reason, and especially
  if it's a windows machine ( as most are ) I always assume that every
  key stroke is recorded. Yeah, it's quite limiting.

 >  IT claims that the Sarbanes-Oxley Act REQUIRES that all
 >  publicly-owned companies do this to protect the stockholder's
 >  intellectual property!

  A great deal of inconveniences are being blamed on SO, but I gotta
  wonder if that isn't the same lawyers who force those privacy
  claims on all outgoing mail published to internet ?

--
Cowboy