[BC] IT troubles

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Thu Jan 10 16:43:51 CST 2008

From: R A Meuser <rameuser at ieee.org>
 > That is like saying that if you have a company car you can take it drag
 > racing Saturday night because it is your 'right'. Any company has the
 > right to set rules of conduct and use of equipment within reason. It is
 > their house and their rules. I often had loggers on a radio station's
 > hot and warm lines. Staff was told it was to assure proper use of those
 > lines.

No. It's saying what it said. You do not have a right to
drive a car. That's why you need to be licensed to use
one on a public highway. Your rights as an Amercan,
are all those for which there are no laws against. There
is a Bill of Rights that defines the things that Congress
cannot make laws about, to assure that those  rights
remain. For instance:

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons,
houses, PAPERS, and EFFECTS, against unreasonable
searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no
warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause,
supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly
describing the place to be searched, and the
  persons or things to be seized.

Emphasis added.

[Snipped]

 > I will admit to the point that I might be missing something, but other
 > than the use of a proxy server for outbound traffic, I do not see how IP
 > traffic can be blocked. We have both public and non-Internet routable
 > IPs and our security is pretty high but I can still reach my home
 > machine and do it by name. It is fairly basic IT stuff.
 >
 > Your company could also have their own internal DNS server (we do) which
 > would restrict where you can go on the Internet but usually just
 > restricts 'bad' places.

Outbound traffic gets blocked because there is no route from
my box to any outside box. Telnet 120.210.12.5, for instance
will go nowhere. Every name-server lookup responds with an
internal address, where a proxy spy machine checks to see if
the outside connection is allowed. If it is allowed, that machine
makes the only connection, not your machine, and all I/O
is routed through that machine and is compressed and
recorded. If it is not allowed, the spy machine writes the
following message back to the connected host:

  Access denied to this web site
To gain access to this web site:
1) Print out the Web Site Request Form & Instructions
available on XXXXX's company portal Ananet (http://ananet/forms)
under the Information Technology section.

2) Fill in the web site address you are requesting access to
and the justification for accessing this site. Sign and date this form.

3) Review with your supervisor and have him or her sign and date this form.

4) Either submit electronically by scanning the form, creating a
.pdf file and sending the .pdf to wsac at xxxxx.com or manually submit
it for review/approval to the Human Resources department.

That is the reason why I can't use 'ftp' or telnet to another machine
on the Internet. I can only use a web-crawler.