[BC] Westinghouse 50HG transmitters

Peter Burk pburk at burk.com
Sat Jan 12 16:10:47 CST 2008

At KB, the 50HG was replaced with an MW-50, and the 50HG had two cabinets
hacked out to make room for a new phasing cabinet.  (I wasn't there when
that happened... and I don't think I could have done it.)  Later, the rest
of the 50HG was removed and a 317 C-2 was installed as an alternate main.
Through all of this, the RCA 10 remained a loyal standby and was often used
to permit transmitter testing into the dummy without running the demand
meter off the scale.

This was once a beautiful transmittter site.  One the second floor, art deco
railings and trim framed an impressive view of the RCA-10 on the left wall,
the WGR 5kW on the right, and 40 feet of 50HG right in front.  All the
transmitters were neatly built into the wall, with a service hallway behind
and generous shop and office space in the rear, looking out over the 100
acre antenna farm. The iron for the 50HG occupied a large vault below the
transmitter. The modulation transformer was 7 feet tall. Mercifully, the
transformers tested free of PCB's and were hauled out to make room for a
250kW genset.

pete