[BC] uplink ERP - RF hazard?

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Sun Jan 13 09:30:54 CST 2008

On Sunday 13 January 2008 07:49 am, Rich Wood wrote:

>  I do remember reading about police officers with the older radar
>  detectors becoming sterile or getting testicular cancer. It seems the
>  easiest docking station for their machines was between their legs,
>  pointed at the family jewels. They'd leave the units operating. I
>  would have thought they'd smell smoke.

 Radar guns, not detectors, and yes, that was the easiest way to hide
 what was built to be a dash-mounted continuous duty cycle radar
 transmitter.
 A few seconds would not have hurt anybody, but leaving the thing
 operating in that "docked" position repeatedly for minutes on end
 has similar potential to the sailors standing in front of the ship-radar
 transmitting dishes in WWII. They suffered the same fate, leading to
 the empirical conclusion that high power density concentrations
 at radar frequencies can do damage, and also leads to the
 microwave oven.

On Saturday 12 January 2008 10:51 pm, Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
>  It's a good thing I dont ever plan on having kids...
>
>  I've lived within just several hundred feet of...
>
>  a 250 Watt Daytimer on 1520
>  a 5KW Day/1KW Night Fulltimer on 1300
>  a 1 KW Fulltimer on 1340
>  a 1KW Daytimer on 1590

 At several tens of feet, you get more background radiation from the cosmos
 than you ever got from those stations.

 It's about power density at the right frequencies, not simply radio.
 At those frequencies, and distances, and powers, you were in much MUCH
 more danger from the sun and your glow-in-the-dark watch.

 Frankly, I'm MUCH more concerned about slapping a cell phone against
 the side of my head than standing inside an operating 50kW phasor !
 ( not counting contact shock and burn hazard )

--
Cowboy