[BC] uplink ERP - RF hazard?

Ron Nott ron at nottltd.com
Sun Jan 13 12:17:53 CST 2008

In my opinion, the general public and particularly our politicians do
not know that there are two kinds of radiation, ionizing and
non-ionizing.  To most, radiation is radiation and all of it is dangerous.

Radiation from decaying uranium is clearly dangerous, but
electromagnetic radiation, whether 60 Hz or way up in RF is
not.  However, the old Nike missile system utilized 9 GHz with a
wavelength of about 3 cm.  This is close to the dimensions of
testicles and eyeballs, so the 5 MW pulses were likely to cause
damage by heating and we avoided it.

Ignorance to the two types of radiation has led to public worry about
all forms of radiation.

Ron Nott, DVP

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Mathis" <thebeaver32 at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2008 9:18 PM