[BC] RIAA and Copying

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Wed Jan 16 22:33:16 CST 2008

------ At 06:51 PM 1/16/2008, Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD wrote: -------

>Sorta like one of the players comments during the 1994 Baseball strike
>"They are taking food from my baby's mouth...".
>
>If you are making $3mil a year and you need even more to feed your
>family...  There is probably a more severe underlying problem.

It's been my experience that the whole system is screwed up. Not
every musician makes multi-millions. I think record companies stack
the deck and very few musicians actually make much money.

One of my Talk Show Hosts commissioned a musician to write some
thematics. The composer agreed to be paid from license royalties. I
received a pleading call from him asking if I could help him get
paid. He hadn't received a penny because the licensing organization
hadn't heard his music during their monitoring. Fortunately, I knew
when his material aired and reported the times to the organization
that was supposed to be looking out for his best interests and got
him paid. Many had lyrics, so they'd be easily identified.

Ask the millionaire performers how long it took and how often they
got screwed by record companies before they sold enough to give them
some negotiating clout. Look at the history of the record industry
screwing people like Little Richard and many like him.

I blame record companies for the sad state of music on radio today.
Add the RIAA and it looks like they're on a suicide course. I don't
like theft of intellectual property but can easily understand the
attitude of those stealing music. They don't see individual
performers. They see big foreign record companies ripping them off.

Rich