[BC] Tower failure Corpus Christi, TX

Mark Earle mearle at mearle.com
Thu Jan 17 10:54:57 CST 2008

Bob Groome wrote:
> Anywone know if there was anyone hurt in the tower that came down there? I hear it was caused by a Navy or Coast Gaurd copter.
>

> Bob Groome

The tower is at this time still standing.

A Navy mine-sweeper helicopter MAY have hit it - details are sketchy.
KRISTV.COM and caller.com  (Local TV-6 and paper) still do not say the
tower was struck. There is a local squadron of mine-sweepers, at CC
Naval Air Station; they were flying a training mission.

There was one survivor taken to a local hospital in critical condition.
The other 3 crew have not been identified pending notification of next
of kin.

The top beacon was found on the ground.

The TV-16 Analog is off-the-air.

FM 90.3 is on air, as is KKBA 92.7 which is also on the tower.

I have no way of verifying if the digital TV is on or not.

90.3 and 92.7 are each on their own respective antennas.

According to the FCC databases:

KEDT-16 analog    961' AGL
KEDT-23 digital 885' AGL
KEDT-90.3     761' AGL
KKBA 92.7    849' AGL

The accident happened in dense fog.
--
mwe

       ) )
      ( (
       ) )    You will be assimilated... oooh, coffee!!
    _|****|
   ( |    |   KFTX 97.5
    `|____|   mearle at mearle.com