[BC] Very Cool Radio Clip: WMMS 101FM

Stevan A. White w5saw at pathwayz.com
Thu Jan 17 13:05:11 CST 2008

I cringed, then laughed, when I saw that mic!  I used to use one just
like it, in fact, it came home with me when the station that had them
finally decided to throw them away.  It's an Electro-Voice 667A.  I
despised the thing when I had to use it on-air because our owner pulled
it out of somebody else's junk pile because he was TOO CHEAP to buy a
new mic.  He never thought enough of his station to spend any money
where it counted the most.  He's long gone and I just completed an IBOC
upgrade on it for the present owner.  In spite of the fact that the
blimp of a windscreen long ago disintegrated, the thin spiral cord has
no spring left in it at all and the rubber bands that hold it on the
shock mount are dried out and useless it still sounds OK.  I'm thinking
about trying to restore it to whatever extent I can and use it with my
vintage ham gear.  Funny how your perspective can change, isn't it?

Best Regards,
Stevan A. White, W5SAW
SW Commercial Electronics
928 South Crockett Street
Amarillo, Texas 79102
Phone 806-681-7228
w5saw at pathwayz.com

"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our
blessings."
(Eric Hoffer, American Author)