[BC] RDS numbers?

gRAdy Moates lists at loudandclean.com
Sun Jan 20 18:44:43 CST 2008

> I think that RBDS is a service looking for a "real" application. Most
> people listening to a station know song titles.  In some ways, it
> reminds me of IBOC.

    While that may be true of "cookie-cutter" commercial radio
stations, all playing the same songs, WUMB-FM (FolkRadio,
NPR affiliate) covers such a wide-ranging musical heritage (folk,
blues, zydeco, celtic, old-timey, world, reggae, yadayada) that
song title and artist info in the RBDS and HD PAD (and the
internet stream player, and on the website) has become
invaluable to our listeners.  We were late to the table with it,
but our IT director Rob Landry) has put together some very
interesting computer programs and networking systems, and
we can now type it in on a song-by-song basis (when NOT
playing music that is in the MusicMaster "RealTime" selection
system) and get it automatically when we ARE using RealTime.
It also automatically shows the names of our long-form shows
from NPR and PRI, such as Mountain Stage and Blues Before
Sunrise.

Grady