[BC] The mysterious iBiquity license fee revealed?

Alan Freed alan at beatworld.com
Thu Jan 24 10:18:28 CST 2008

The entire clip is from orbitcast.com and I
include it for context. This line is from the
final paragraph:

"[Barrington Research analyst Jim] Goss...added
that iBiquity is getting $5-$6 for every HD Radio
receiver sold."

iBiquity met with the FCC... again

  Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 5:49 AM

Adding to the list of merger-related activity at
the FCC recently, iBiquity Digital Corporation
held yet another meeting with members of the
Commission earlier this week, according to a
recent FCC filing.

iBiquity CEO Robert Struble and counsel met with
Commission Jonathan Adelstein and Rudy Brioché of
Commissioner Adelstein's office. Their discussion
was similar to previous meetings in that iBiquity
expressed "concern" over competitive implications
should the merger be approved.

Speaking of implications. iBiquity implies quite
a bit at these meetings. From the filing:

"iBiquity raised concerns about exclusive
arrangements between XM and Sirius and automobile
manufacturers that could serve as a barrier to
iBiquity's ability to sell HD Radio receivers to
end users. iBiquity also expressed concern that
satellite radio companies may have used subsidies
and incentives to discourage proliferation of HD
Radio products. iBiquity discussed its concern
that the merger has the potential to exacerbate
these problems."

Interesting, so now that sluggish growth we're
hearing about is XM and Sirius' fault? Seriously?
Remember, some studies predicted that 1.5 million
HD Radio units would be sold in 2007 (and that
was reduced from 2.1 million), while other
research firms, like Barrington Research, had
hoped for a more conservative 1 million units.

"Our impression is that the actual unit
sell-through was only about half that total,"
said Barrington Research analyst Jim Goss. That's
roughly 500,000 units for the entire year if your
math is rusty.

So the burden of that failure is now being placed
on satellite radio's mystical "incentives" that
somehow "discouraged" the sale of HD Radios. That
is, despite HD Radio being all over CES this
year, and being included in new tabletop radios
that forgo XM in favor of iTunes Tagging support.
Yeah, I can definitely see proof of iBiquity's
accusations there.

iBiquity's solution to these "concerns" of course
hasn't changed since last month - they just want
the government to require that HD Radio
technology be included in every satellite radio
sold.

Oh, and Goss also added that iBiquity is getting
$5-$6 for every HD Radio receiver sold. So, you
know, requiring that HD Radio technology be
included in every Sirius and XM unit sold has
absolutely nothing to do with the interests of
iBiquity. Nah... it's all "to insure a level
competitive playing field," right?