[BC] Give me bargain...

Mike McCarthy mre at ais.net
Thu Jan 24 14:49:22 CST 2008

An unnamed major group operator tried doing that long term and they
found out the managers of the donating station/market wasn't happy
since their respective budgets wasn't structured for sharing labor
and the host station was falling behind in it's work. The recipent
station OTOH made out like a bandit since the engineering costs were
never passed on in many cases.

When enough managers started complaining to the regional people about
both the shortfall in revenues caused by extended downtimes and loss
of productivity, they finally relented and hired more people for the stations.

I think this trend will again stabilize out. But the smallest or most
isolated rural stations will be hardest hit since there is simply not
enough work to keep anyone around close-by with automation and solid
state TX's being so reliable now. Stations which have co-located
transmitters eliminate one more level of risk by not needing a STL path.

MM