[BC] FCC"Loco-ism"

tpt at literock93r.com tpt at literock93r.com
Thu Jan 24 19:13:58 CST 2008

Get out your white bucks and poodle skirts, it's back to the 50's.
And then be prepared for engineering budgets to be cut so that the
station can hire someone to spend endless hours compiling mounds of
worthless bull~#% for the public file.

The real thrust of this proceeding is: Clear Channel is evil,
Commercial Radio is evil, we want nothing but LPFM stations run by
community groups and NPR.

about what you expect from a commission run by political hacks and
ex-telephone/ puc lawyers

Proposed:

1.  Apply all kinds of added programing reporting rules to TV, &
questions why same should not be required of radio.  (Why not? Well,
in my market the 13 radio stations- 2 groups and my indy FM, reporting
to Miller-Kaplan show $5 million annual sales. Solid rumors indicates
the sole local TV--an NBC UHF station--bills 4 mil.)

2. Require radio stations to set up local advisory boards, with
concomitant requirements to show who what when etc.;

3. Require stations to air certain percentages of local programming.
At one point suggested as including 3 hours per week of public affairs;

4. Return to 24/7 manned operation.

5. Un-scramble the egg, and require a return to pre-1987 main studio
rules (which, as a recall, would require a studio in the city of
license, with the exception for studios at the transmitter site, or FM
studios at the AM station's studio). The 24/7 rules would indicate
that these studios would also be required to be manned continuously.

There's more, but I've just skimmed this 98 page monster, and haven't
digested this mess.