[BC] The mysterious IBUZ license fee revealed?

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Fri Jan 25 19:14:17 CST 2008

------ At 03:01 PM 1/25/2008, Milton Holladay wrote: -------

>A couple of thoughts come to mind:
>If radios that work for XM and Sirius also have to recieve  IBOC,
>IBOC might acquire a few listeners when XM/Sirius subscribers cheap
>out and stop paying for service and listen to IBOC by default..

That would happen if the IBUZ signal was as reliable as the satellite
signal. If I'm at all representative, people will revert to analog to
avoid the annoying constant loss of digital. Most stations I hear
aren't syncd very well and there's an echo every few seconds as
blending occurs. Secondaries just disappear, reappear, then
disappear, over and over..

>On the other hand, perhaps IBOC should change to being a subscriber
>service to gain listeners, because, since it is now free (other than
>the cost of the reciever) it is percieved as worthless.......<gr>

As you probably know I have a large collection of bridges for sale at
great prices. If you believe IBUZ will remain free I can sell you one
or more heritage bridges for about what IBUZ will cost you over its
short life. Lots of work is being done to implement subscription
services as the distressed inventory spots on the analog signal
emphasize how free it is.

My bet is that little effort is being expended on the awesome niche
secondary programming as stations look forward to subscription
profits. Of course, those profits assume someone actually buys
receivers. Maybe special services will drive sales of data receivers
at the incredible speeds IBUZ will allow. Sort of like wireless
dialup. It'll remind you of an old FAX machine that's racheted its
speed down or, maybe, make an old teletype machine seem speedy.

I still believe all IBUZ receivers should be able to receive
satellite services. Some do and retailers tell me consumers usually
buy the satellite tuner to go with it. It appears it's not viable
without piggybacking on satellite. I wonder if the satellite services
want an albatross like IBUZ weighing them down. I wonder if SIRIUS
and XM want to have to pay the alleged $6 license fee to the IBUZ folks.

It reminds me of Lee Iacocca complaining to the government that Japan
wasn't buying his cars. What he forgot to mention was that they were
too big for the roads and had the steering wheel on the wrong side.
The Japanese considered the boat-sized cars to be pimpmobiles.
Instead of producing something the Japanese wanted, the government
was implored to intervene and force the Japanese to buy the cars.
Like most government interventions, I don't believe it worked.

It's blackmail intended either to prevent the merger of satellite
companies or ride their coattails with something no one wants.

Rich