[BC] RFI stalls cars near Empire State Building

Bruce Doerle bdoerle at mail.ucf.edu
Mon Jan 28 16:06:19 CST 2008

When I was working in Germany for IBB at Holzkirchen (SE of Munich), Audi, VW, and BMW used to bring their new model cars to our TX site and test them for RFI.  We ran 250kW on the shortwave bands and 150kW mediumwave.  They would park and run the vehicles right in front of the antennas.  The vehicles would be less than two hundred feet from the antennas.  I don't remember any vehicles getting stuck in the field because  of RFI.

The new model styles were all wrapped up so you couldn't see the style, but they would always leave us some swag.  They would also test them over at the Deutsche Telekom Wertachtal site which had 500kW shortwave TXs.

>>> R A Meuser <rameuser at ieee.org> 1/28/2008 3:52 PM >>>
There is a lot more than FM on Empire. The DTV UHF stations are 300 to
400 KW ERP each. Then there are the NTSC stations low band, high band
and UHF.