[BC] Electronic ignition

SteveOrdinetz hykker at wildblue.net
Mon Jan 28 19:29:58 CST 2008

At 03:42 PM 1/28/2008, Mark W. Croom wrote:
>I don't know if this is what you mean, but if I jam the key into the ignition
>of my 2000 Windstar and turn it quickly there is a very real delay before the
>starter engages. It feels "wrong" to me, but that's that way it is.
>
>On the other hand, if I just move a little more slowly I don't get "ahead" of
>the computer and it feels fine.

I think it's all controlled by the engine control computer.  One of
our station vehicles is a Pontiac Aztek...all you need to do is
briefly touch the key to the "start" position and it cranks as long
as needed  (which isn't long...must have a very high-voltage ignition
system.  Last winter we had a spell where it dropped to -30 or colder
at night for a week or so, and it always started right up).  You're
right though, it is a bit disconcerting.