[BC] IBOC power Increase For FM stations

Mark Humphrey mark3xy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 12:16:51 CDT 2009

One question I raised (in my comments to the FCC on Docket 99-325)
concerns potential worsening of receiver-induced second-order intermod
between the digital sidebands of collocated FM stations with a 10.4 or
11.0 MHz separation.  If you examine the frequency relationship
between those sidebands, it's apparent that a receiver with
less-than-perfect front end might generate a broad noise product
centered quite close to 10.7 MHz.  This could result in the "sea of
carrier hiss" that Warren mentions.

Situations where Class B stations separated by 52 or 54 channels share
a common site are common in several major markets, including Chicago,
Washington, and New York.  Keep in mind that the proposed 10 dB
increase would raise each sideband's power to the equivalent of 2.5 kW
at 150 m, almost the same as a full Class A FM facility.  (Normally,
the FCC requires Class A stations with an IF relationship to be
separated at least 10 km.)

The single-station tests I've seen so far haven't addressed this
issue, but hopefully the NPR study will provide some useful data.

Mark