[BC] question for you engineers

rj carpenter rcarpen1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 1 08:34:43 CST 2008

Donna Halper <dlh at donnahalper.com> asked about questions "from the
field" for America's Town Meeting.

I hope I'm not completely off base, but didn't NBC feed its eastern
stations in a "round robin" manner as far back as the late-30s? It was
that way in the 40s. This was a loop that went from NYC, perhaps to
Boston, then through Cleveland, Chicago, ST Louis, etc., the south,
Washington and back to NYC.  Major points could break the loop and
insert audio. NYC, Chicago and Washington were certainly origination
points which could break the round-robin loop.

It was "interesting" when the originating station didn't break the loop
for enough time for audio to die out before closing it.  Here in DC in
the late 40s, one could listen to the tailend of the loop on WINC (esp
on FM), Winchester, VA, when ABC was originating network news from DC.
WMAL carried the outgoing feed on FM to get the better quality.  There
was a LONG delay around the loop.  As a general policy, the originating
point was supposed to listen to the audio coming back around the loop to
verify that it had control and that things weren't broken.