[BC] question for you engineers

Mark Durenberger Mark4 at durenberger.com
Tue Jan 1 11:59:24 CST 2008

To be more specific, the paths between telephone exchanges were
almost always 4-wire (separate transmit path and receive path).  This
was done so (one-way) amplifiers ("repeaters") could be used on the
long hauls between exchanges.  The hybrids (4-wire to 2-wire
converters) were used on the 'last mile' to/from the telephone instrument.

The use of the hybrid in the "ends" of the telephone system was a
pragmatic solution to cut the last-mile wire costs in half.

If one could install a 4-wire (transmit-receive) path from radio
station to telephone exchange, greater isolation could be obtained
and the limiting factor for isolation would be the cross-talk at the
caller's end.

Today we use "4-wire" end-to-end in our digital codecs, and isolation
is nearly perfect.

Mark Durenberger, CPBE

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Glaenzer" <glaenzer at verizon.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 11:16 AM