[BC] TV Set/Converter

Scott Fybush scott at fybush.com
Wed Jan 2 18:15:02 CST 2008

Bruce Doerle wrote:
> Here is two options:
>
> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8102796&type=product&id=1161734592183
>
> http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-High-Definition-Terrestrial-Tuner-DTB-H260F/sem/rpsm/oid/164855/catOid/-15607/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

>  To me, it's only TV, so HD is irrelevant.
>  Has anyone been able to find actual retail $$ on any converters ?
>  So far, I have not...
>  Where ???

Note that the converters Bruce references are NOT ones that will be
eligible for the $40 coupon discount. That program comes with some very
stringent (and restrictive) technical standards, courtesy of NTIA. In
particular, boxes with HD outputs (like that Samsung) don't qualify.

The boxes that will meet the coupon standards aren't in stores yet, and
my understanding is that that's deliberate - no point making them
available before people have coupons in hand. The coupons distribution
is supposed to start mid-February, and there are something like a dozen
models of converter that have been approved for sale then. Retail price
is expected to be in the $50-90 range, from what I hear.