[BC] question for you engineers

Tom Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 17:59:45 CST 2008

TV delay via quads - Yep; possible... and done a few times locally, as
well.  The engineer who'd done it (the program had long before been
canceled for other reasons) told me the secret was to reverse feed the
tape across the empty take-up reel on the record machine and the empty
supply reel on the playback machine, so the tension servos had something
to operate against and wouldn't trip the tape-break logic.  These were
Ampex VTRs - IIRC, model 10?  It's been quite a while.    I've heard of,
not directly, it also being done with RCA TR-5s... although, again - I
got the TR-5s third-hand, so YMMV...

Keeping the tensioning correct would be the biggest headache; quad does
(did) NOT like uneven tension - I've seen too many headwheels chewed up
by improper tension - although the scale said the tension was within spec!

Tom S.