[BC] question for you engineers

Chuck Lakaytis chuck at akpb.org
Thu Jan 3 11:30:21 CST 2008

In the early sixties I was a shift maintainence chief of a HF
transmitter site located in Saran, France courtesy of the US Army.  We
had quite a few 50 KW Collins transmitters driven in some cases by 5 KW
AT&T T-409 transmitters.  These were independent sideband, suppressed
carrier transmitters. The usual operation was for -20 db carrier
suppression;  if there was severe fading or jamming we reduced the
suppression to -10 db.  The carrier was used to sync up the receivers,
important to keep the crypto gear in sync.

Each sideband had two independent channels, four Khz in bandwidth.  The
transmitters could transmit four independent voice channels, although
this was not done very often.  Usually we had three data slots and an
encrypted voice channel.  If the fading got bad we basically simulcast
the same data and voice on the upper and lower sidebands taking
advantage of the fact that most of the fading was selective and one
sideband would stay up while the other one faded.

It was pretty cool for the time.  I was one of the first techs to be
trained in the new fangled transistors.

I got a citation once from the commanding officer for fixing a problem
that the Collins engineers had with new experimental digital codec.
They could not get the audio levels right, unitil one day I figured out
the problem and patched an audio amplifier into the circuit, along with
some limiting from an AT&T "Transocean" audio processor.  So maybe I can
claim that I did the first audio processing for a low bit rate audio codec!

The coded was a big rack crammed with those new fangled circuit boards.

Here is a picture of the transmitter site courtesy of CSM retired Tim
Casey, one of the guys in our outfit.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Barracks/8386/xmitrm.jpg

--
Chuck Lakaytis