[BC] Audio Cable

Thomas G. Osenkowsky tosenkowsky at prodigy.net
Thu Jan 3 15:17:45 CST 2008

> Not wanting to contradict Mr. O... but umpteen years of hands-on
> experience says at audio frequencies, the few inches difference between
> the pairs when employing the break-out described is negligible in terms
> of audio propagation.  And properly constructed, L and R in the same
> connector is also a very minor contributor to crosstalk..

In contradicting Mr. O. you raise some points that require
clarification. You are mixing apples and oranges. Theory with
practice. Propagation refers to the radiation of signals through a
medium such as the air whereas crosstalk in a connector is mainly
attributed to the resistive, capacitive and inductive properties of the
dielectric employed in the connector which insulates the pins from
each other.

Remember the computer failure in the Space Station? It was due to
condensation on a (Russian) connector. This sent false "Off" commands
to the on-board computers. The fuel cell indicator issue that grounded
the Space Shuttel is due to faulty connectors.

What you may define or quantify as "very minor" may be major or
significant to others. I remember when the SP-10 turntable was
introduced. There were few available instruments that could
accurately measure the rumble from the direct drive motor! We
today measure THD, IMD, crosstalk and CMRR into very low
values such as .001% or -102 dB and so on. Audio cables usually
do not carry pure sine waves. Transient and square wave response
are critical for accurate transmission and reproduction.

Yes, writing on a conductive connector body CAN affect audio!
The reflection of light would be different thus causing a temperature
differential between channels. This is why identifiers are placed on
the CABLE before the connector. Also helps if the connector has
to be changed. The tag remains.

Your real world experiences and those of others may vary
significantly. That is why we have standards and practices. To maintain
uniformity and quality. YMMV.

Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE