[BC] Telco and the program loop

Broadcast List Broadcast at fetrow.org
Thu Jan 3 17:39:50 CST 2008

I was on the way to the Transmitter site and heard the audio drop in
level (company car, NO RADIO, portable radio on the seat), and KNEW
we just lost a channel.  Heard it come back, then drop again.
Thankfully, my assistant and I were only blocks away.  We ran inside
and discovered out two sets of stereo conditioned pairs doing weird
things.  We kept having to switch pairs, and flip the patch cords to
keep the station in phase.  We then lost three out of four circuits,
and went to a "Y" patch cord we had made.  Left-e-o and Right-e-o
beat the heck out of what was going on.

I couldn't get Radio Center to do anything, so since I knew where the
last CO was, I figured what the heck.

I followed the overhead wires as the bundles kept getting bigger and
bigger.  Then the cables went under-ground.  Now it was best guess.
Close to the CO there was a tent over a manhole and a C&P Telephone
truck.  I stopped, entered the tent only to hear the station playing
loudly out of the manhole to a HUGE vault..  I asked him how he was
getting that music under-ground and he pointed to a test set.  I
asked him to get the hell out of our circuit and call Radio Center.
He didn't have a clue was I was talking about, but I gave him the
number and went into the Pizza Hut to use the pay phone.

It turns out they were moving circuits around in order to abandon an
under-ground cable which was in the way of an interchange that was
going to be built.  I had a conversation about half-tapping with the
jerk in the vault, and a conversation with Radio Center about
protective caps on our circuits.  We had a lot of bridged circuits
and our cable had a LOT of houses dial tone on our cable at both the
studio and transmitter sites.

At that same station we had MANY very inexpensive alarm circuits for
telemetry and some other uses, plus to use as a doomsday program feed
backup.  Outside plant guys would see a pair that had nothing on it,
and steal it.  We would go to use one of our pairs because some other
circuit quit, only to find dial tone on the pair!

We tested the circuits often so we kept getting them back.  In the
end I found we were allowed up to 250 Volts DC that was current
limited by the loop resistance.  I'll bet you can't guess what came
next!  We put 250 VDC on the circuits at one end, and -- I don't
recall the exact Voltage at this point -- but something like 48 or 12
Volt bulbs on the other.  We fed some from the transmitter, and some
from the studio so we could grab one and put equipment on it instead
of the power supply depending on the end we were currently visiting.
We didn't filter the power supplies well so they would produce
several Volts of HUMMMMMMM.  Needless to say, they stayed out of our
dry pairs!  The funny thing was I had a hard time keeping the
protective caps on our 66 blocks until I put that 250 Volts on the
pairs but not after!

--chip