[BC] Short AM Tower

Alan Alsobrook radiotech at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 3 19:34:11 CST 2008

I'll take a guess that it's skirt fed and a self supporter.  Also that
upon matching the tower with the skirt tapped to the highest point the
feed point impedance is about 10 Ohms or a bit less. If this is the one
I'm thinking of (a bit east of you) I had it set up and matched out very
nicely to 50 J0 but the coils needed to be larger since they had an
excessive amount of heat loss.

Another thing to look at is Harris takes a 5 ohm PA output and bumps it
it to 50 ohms fairly efficiently in the Gates series transmitters. If
you can go one way, just reverse the circuit and you can go the other.

Optionally a Hi Pass Pi network may provide a lower loss network in this
application.

There are several ways to make it work. Several of which I have
discussed on site.

--
Alan Alsobrook CSRE AMD CBNT
St. Augustine Fl. 32086 904-829-8885