[BC] TV Set/Converter

Bruce Doerle bdoerle at mail.ucf.edu
Fri Jan 4 11:58:13 CST 2008

The $40 is not floating, it is in the law:

See the Code of Federal Regulations 47 CFR 301.4 for the coupons.  It
sets the value.

<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/frnotices/2007/DTVFinalRule_part301.htm>http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/frnotices/2007/DTVFinalRule_part301.htm

Bruce

 >>> Scott Fybush <scott at fybush.com> 1/4/2008 11:47 AM >>>

That $40 number has been floating around the net for a long time now
without any confirmation, and it's starting to sound a little fishy
to me. I'm not an expert on Chinese manufacturing costs or
electronics-industry retail profit margins, but I find it hard to
believe that Radiosophy can sell me an HD radio for $100 (or Best Buy
for $150) and be sending $40 of that to Ibiquity. In fact, I'd find
it hard to believe that Best Buy's cost for that Insignia shelf unit
it's selling is much more than $60 or $70, total, and probably even
less than that.