[BC] Panel LCD TV s]

R A Meuser rameuser at ieee.org
Fri Jan 4 11:59:20 CST 2008

Unless one is really on a budget, get 1080P. With 1080P, all broadcast
formats are up converted. It is naturally compatible with the
progressive scan 720 P format and has full horizontal resolution for
1080I. LCD, DLP and Plasma displays all have a fixed number of pixels
(unlike a CRT) so any received format must be mapped to those pixels. A
1080I signal suffers when re-mapped to a 720P display. I have heard good
things about the Sharp Aquios LCD display. The bottom line is the money.
A 1080P display is certainly more affordable than earlier flat panels
but is still more than some may wish to budget for a display. If money
is more of an issue than quality, a less expensive 720P display will be
fine. There are also enhanced definition TVs with ATSC tuners that are
not true high def but will receive ATSC.

If you are not into all the new high tech gear, just wait for the
subsidized converters which will work wonders with existing NTSC sets.