[BC] Panel LCD TV's

Chuck Lakaytis chuck at akpb.org
Fri Jan 4 13:15:29 CST 2008

The bandwidth gets even more interesting in our case and with many other
operators.  We are using statistical multiplexing on our Scientific
Atlantic gear that amalgamates our audio and video services on our
uplink.  Each service has a lower and upper bound set for bit rate.  It
is very interesting watching the pie chart display on our Trevini
analyzer show that changes in "pie slice" as the bit rate changes
depending on our set parameters for each channel and the change in video
from frame to frame.  We have just so much money for bandwidth and many
"customers" to allocate to that bandwidth.  There was a good deal of
struggle between users as to who gets how much bandwidth.  We have been
pleasantly surprised how well statistical multiplexing  gives us an
improvement in viewing quality.

But the boxes sure are not cheap!

--
Chuck Lakaytis