[BC] audio cable termination

Peter Smerdon psmerdon at fastmail.com.au
Fri Jan 4 22:38:07 CST 2008

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Robert.

Ah yes - the "Voltage Transmission for Audio" paper.
That's a classic.
It's still well worth a read.
It opened my eyes back then.

I now wonder, was Richard just documenting an evolving practice or did
he invent the concept?

Regards,

R A Meuser wrote:

> This is all covered in the original AES paper from 1980.
>
> http://www.richardhess.com/be/aes-80.htm
>

> Peter Smerdon wrote:
>> Why do we terminate cables? Because broadcast borrowed the practice
>> from the telephone companies, and old habits (and legacy
>> installations) die hard.
>>
>> My understanding is that properly terminating a cable requires the
>> source impedance, cable characteristic impedance, and load impedance
>> to be the same
>> - and -
>> You would only terminate a cable when either:
>> a) the cable length was such that it was acting as a transmission line
>> - rule of thumb (heard from Bill Whitlock of Jensen Transformers -
>> who's a bit of an evangelist on this subject) is that for a cable
>> length to start looking like a transmission line it has to be at least
>> 10% of a wavelength - and that is 4000 feet at 20kHz (to put Cowboy's
>> "short" and "long" into perspective)
>> -or-
>> b) you are interested in maximum power transfer, not maximum voltage
>> transfer.
>>
>> Here I'm assuming the application is "short" cable lengths at audio
>> frequencies.
>>
>> In distributing audio, we are interested in voltage, not power, and if
>> we were to terminate, we'd be just throwing away 6dB in level
>> (headroom/noise) for no benefit.
>> For audio signals the modern practice of low source impedance (say 50
>> ohms) and high input impedance (10K+) eliminates the need for
>> terminations.
>>
>> Ya just gotta watch out for interfaces to long lines, your telco or
>> campus network - and if interfacing with a transformer designed for
>> 600 ohms, where failure to terminate adversely affects the transformer
>> performance.
>>
>> btw: the 600 ohms line impedance comes from the fact that that is the
>> characteristic impedance of the typical "open wire" telephone line
>> strung on poles with wooden crossbars and porcelain insulators. Audio
>> cable Zo is usually somewhere between 80 and 100 ohms.
>> It's just as well maintaining correctly sourced and terminated cables
>> was unnecessary, 'cos they were designed for the wrong impedance.
>>
>> Cowboy wrote:

>>>  Depends on why there is a cable there at all !
>>>
>>>  In most cases, the objective is to take a signal, or energy, and
>>>  simply transport it from one location to the other, unchanged.
>>>  In other cases, it is desirable to change the signal in some fashion.
>>>  In any case, the cable itself is a circuit component, with its own
>>>  characteristics, which may be desirable characteristics, or
>>>  undesirable characteristics and will have some affect on the
>>>  signal or energy being transported, which may or may not
>>>  be significant.
>>>  If the cable is "short" the effects may be insignificant, in which case
>>>  the decision to terminate will depend solely on what affect on the
>>>  signal is created by the termination itself.
> [...]

Peter Smerdon.

Radio 3mp - Melbourne's Easy Music
sen-1116  - Melbourne's Home of Sport

Melbourne, Australia.