[BC] Future of radio and it's engineers?

Dave Dunsmoor mrfixit at min.midco.net
Sat Jan 5 10:01:00 CST 2008

    In my humble opinion, terresterial radio isn't going away anytime soon,
despite the advances being made in other entertainment distribution options.
Primarily because it's become so ingrained into our way of life. Regardless
of how many other neat things are out there, radio is there when we want it.
No mess, no fuss (for the most part), "click" and it's on. No re-booting an
obstinate digital gadget, it's just there, and is usable with a relatively
simple box of parts if necessary.

    However, what IS the future of our favorite occupation? If AM is being
slowly "shown the door", what other options are there for talented,
educated, skillful, resourceful engineers who might not want (or be able) to
retire just yet? Is there perhaps a future in receivers? Receivers of
....what?

    Here's where I'm going with this. Early in December I had the
opportunity to make a trip to Albuquerque for a (very) short business trip.
During a Google search of the area I discovered that the NRAO
(http://www.nrao.edu/) was only about 120 miles away. I HAD to see this, I
made the trip late in the afternoon to go see this wonder of imagination and
engineering. The gift shop and visitor's center was still open for a short
while when I arrived, and I made a quick round through the place. The
science and engineering that made what they do possible was interesting.
What they do is intriguing.

    So my question is this: could there possibly be a greater future in
"listening" than in "talking" for those of us who really like technology?
What would it take to generate the interest in extra-terrertrial research to
release the resources to build more of this type of facility? And no, I'm
not talking about SETI and the "Art Bell" crowd here.

    What do you think? Useful? Possible? Likely? Not at all lucid here?

Dave Dunsmoor