[BC] Getting phones on the air

SteveOrdinetz hykker at wildblue.net
Sat Jan 5 15:09:14 CST 2008

  Chuck Lakaytis wrote:
>In the early Seventies I was CE for KOPN in Columbia, Missouri.  I
>got a frantic call from the GM that the audio on the air was not the
>audio from the studio.  I flipped the station on and heard two women
>comparing cherry pie recipes, along with the information that one of
>the husbands was not the most sober guy in the world.

There was a story in Rick Sklar's "Rockin' America" book on the day
WABC's switchboard lit up with calls wondering why "Martian chatter"
was on the air.  Turns out the switch that selected which studio went
on-air was located near the floor, and the board op accidentally
bumped his chair into it selecting one of the production studios
(which was being used to make a 2x speed reverse tape dub).  Needless
to say, the jock & board op were royally chewed out for not paying
attention to what was on the air (or monitoring the program
channel).  The switch was also moved in short order.