[BC] Future of radio and it's engineers?

R. V. Zeigler rzeigler at krvn.com
Sun Jan 6 11:01:52 CST 2008

Dave Dunsmoor wrote:

This is all true, however my curiosity is focused on if broadcast "went
away",
would/could you migrate? Would it be interesting, challenging, even
possible?

Dave

 My journey into the broadcasting field has been through a series of migrations. While going to school I worked in a radio station doing engineering and occasional air shifts. After graduation I started as an Audio-Visual technician for an international school supply company. They dabbled in communications equipment and I was the only tech they had with a phone license. My wife and I then opened our own A/V, communications, electronic repair business for a while which gave us both a great education. I worked in the two-way business for a number of years after that. The job turned into board swapping and got very boring. I happened upon a chance to get into broadcast again and have been there since. Along the way I developed interest in emergency operations, command, and management and have been involved in that as a "hobby".
To sum this up, if you are a one trick pony you are probably going have difficulty migrating to something else. From what I see on this, and other lists, the majority of engineers do have other interests and skills that would translate to a viable vocation in another field.
One more thing.........My major was in Broadcast Engineering. I graduated right after the FCC lifted the "Engineer on Duty" requirement and stations were no longer hiring engineers. Nothing like great timing!

Rod

--
R. V. Zeigler, Dir. of Eng.
Nebraska Rural Radio Assn.