[BC] Robust headphones]]

Milton Holladay miltron at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 7 21:12:27 CST 2008

A couple of months ago, "The Cottonpicker", Jim Nesbitt, passed away in
Florence, SC,  where he had lived and worked for several decades.
Prior to that, he had lived in my hometown and worked at the local 1,000 wat
daytimer there. He had a few novelty hit records over the years; "Please Mr.
President", "Husband in Law", &c.
Listening to him on the air, you'd think he had everything planned and timed
to the split second.
Watching him through the window from the lobby, you saw a guy talking on the
phone a lot, answering all the calls that came in, sticking a cart into an
ATC, getting news from the teletype in the adjacent closet, switching on the
mic when the record or cart ran out, talking as he looked for the next
record that he wanted to play, pushing the button on one of the original
model ATCs to play a spot, taking the last record off the CB-11, which he
rarely switched off, rarely using the other TT, slapping the new selection
on, dropping the Gray 208 viscous damped arm /  GE VR II onto the record,
turninig up the pot, all the while talking, never missing a lick.
Headphones ? Oh, those were to cue up tapes on the Ampex 601s that sat on
either side of the console.
Some have it, others don't....He definitely had it.
And, was a fisherman of renowned success.