[BC] Play that Again, Take it away Leon

stanleybadams stanleybadams at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 06:47:18 CST 2008

I have seen those too Milt.  Worked at WCNW in Fairfield Ohio, just north of
where I lived, during my last two years of high school. As well as WKUZ
where we had it all automatic too with the old RCA 76, and TT's.

Talking about some of the old boys, there was Jim Stanley, a singer of some
renound (recorded for King Records) and Pappy Tipton who worked at night
when the FM was on and the AM off.  He played music for all the blue collars
coming off work at area steel and car plants.

As long as the coffee pot was hot, so were they.  The young will not care
nor understand what real pre-automation radio was all about.  And automation
in those days was having more than two cart machines.  If you had a SMC
Carosel, you were in heaven---as long as it worked.

There has also been a tread on here about headphones, and yes, I could never
afford those type, but we did use some old trusty Trimms, some with and
without the earcups.

Stanley Adams
Memphis, TN
A young man who saw the last of the old ways to do it.