[BC] IT troubles

Sid Schweiger sid at wrko.com
Thu Jan 10 09:16:19 CST 2008

>>That is precisely why you should NEVER snoop. You
should never allow yourself to be put into a situation
where you could obtain private knowledge without the
consent of the provider.<<

That kind of ignorance, under current case law, is not a defense.
Lawsuits, particularly those having to do with a "hostile workplace
environment," now routinely cover what the employer is or isn't doing to
prevent such a thing, including monitoring employees' computer usage.
If the employer either isn't doing anything or isn't doing enough, the
plaintiff's attorney drives the point home, the jury sympathizes and the
award skyrockets.  All it takes is one male employee cruising a porn
site while a female employee happens to walk by, and a lawsuit magically
appears.  Without delving too deeply into why everyone sues everyone
else these days, that's the situation we're faced with, and that's why
companies monitor this stuff.  They feel they have no choice.

I would prefer never to snoop on employees, but I don't have that
option.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
WAAF - WEEI AM/FM - WKAF