[BC] Who is a Ham?

Rick Barnes WG3A at ARRL.net
Thu Jan 10 14:22:15 CST 2008

To All,

First of all, Happy New Year!

I was a Novice for two years when I was in junior high school around
1964 - 1965.  I don't remember my callsign back then but our junior
high school ham radio club at Broadway Junior High School in Elmira,
NY -- under the guidance of our physics teacher, Mr. Lyvers -- was WB2IYW.

When I retired from the Army after 20 years of service in 1994, I got
my first civilian job as a country-western DJ at WANN (AM) in
Annapolis, MD.  The owner and GM, Mr. Morris Blum (who operated the
station into his 90s and was the 1998 recipient of the SBE Lifetime
Achievement Award due, in part, to his involvement in the development
of AM Stereo and EAS technologies) was a ham operator, NY3L.  Every
time I would bug him telling him I was interested in getting more
engineering experience he would say to me, "Young man, what you need
is a ham radio license."

With Maury as my "elmer" and mentor, I took the ham exams at our
local ham club in the Fall of 1994.  Although I passed all the theory
tests through Extra in one sitting, I had some problems with the
Morse code test.  I had been practicing the code with a computer
program and, although I could hear it at a much faster rate, I could
not physically write it as quickly in long hand since I was used to
typing messages on my computer and I can type much faster than I can
write.  Consequently, I ended up with a Tech+ license for that day (N3TRZ).

A month or two later, I went back with a portable word processor (it
looks like a typewriter with a small computer buffer) and I re-took
the code test.  This time I passed the 13 WPM code test and earned
the Advanced license (KE3QJ).  A few years later, the FCC reduced the
code requirement for Extra from 20 WPM to 13 WPM (what some hams
referred to as "Extra lite") and, since my previous theory tests had
expired, I re-took the Extra theory test (WG3A).

So, for the second time, I've been a ham since 1994.  I am a member
of the Anne Arundel (County) Amateur Radio Club, which operates a
repeater on 147.105 MHz (W3VPR) from Davidsonville, MD near Annapolis
and the Voice of America Amateur Radio Club, which operates a ham
radio station (K3VOA) from the attic of our building on Independence
Ave. in downtown Washington, DC next to the National Capital
Mall.  The VOA ARC 2-meter and 440 repeaters provide communication
support for the annual Marine Corps marathon in Washington, DC.

73s,

Rick Barnes
Captain (Retired), U.S. Army
Supervisor, Broadcast Operations, Voice of America, Washington, DC
Ph.D. Candidate (A.B.D.), Capella University, Minneapolis, MN
E-mail (home):   WG3A at ARRL.net
E-mail (work):   rbarnes at voanews.com