[BC] RE: Westinghouse 50HG transmitters

Scott Fybush scott at fybush.com
Fri Jan 11 13:01:12 CST 2008

Art Lebermann wrote:
> A Westinghouse 50HG-1 transmitter was installed at KGO (San
> Francisco) when they moved to the present site in 1947 - and
> increased power to 50 Kw.  This transmitter was still in full-time
> use in 1970.  I don't know the exact year that it was removed from
> service, but it is not shown in forms submitted to the FCC in 1980.

As I mentioned in an e-mail to Barry recently, the last two 50HGs in
western New York were at WHAM in Rochester and WKBW (WWKB) in Buffalo.
I'm not sure when WHAM's 50HG was removed from service, but I know it
was removed from the transmitter building in 2003 to make room for a new
Harris. KB's 50HG is gone from that building as well, and has been for
some time; there's a DX50 in part of the space where that unit used to sit.

WBZ's 50HG was already gone the first time I ever set foot in the
transmitter building, circa 1994. (The lineup then was an MW50 and a
DX50; the MW has since been replaced by a 3DX50.)

The only 50HGs I've seen in place are at WOWO, WHO and KFAB, and the
only one of those that's still operational (though rarely used) is WOWO's.