[BC] PCB and other hazards

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Tue Jan 15 13:23:47 CST 2008

I don't think that are many smelly substitutes. However,
do you remember the smell of phenolic PC boards?

That "wonderful electronic" aroma you'd get when
repairing old Zenith TV sets! The smell comes
from phenol, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenol .

That same material is what causes the smell
of PCBs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl

The Wikipedia entry uses the word "congener" claiming
them as odorless and tasteless. Warning; "cogener" is
a trick word, meaning generated together which seems
to imply that PCBs are odorless, which is untrue.

RCA made a dummy-load that was a large brown steel
tank with a pump mounted to the same platform. This
tank was filled with Askerel, a PCB and it was what
circulated around the load resistor. The tank contained
a coil of water tubing as a hear exchanger. All of the
Bird loads that I remember had direct immersion of
the load resistor in the water coolant, or (for UHF)
no load resistor at all.

--
Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson