[BC] Long wire antennas

PeterH5322 peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Tue Jan 15 23:27:57 CST 2008

>1230 is correct - KYPA, ex-KGFJ...actually just north of the 10, south
>of downtown. I'm told the antenna was just restrung in the last few months.

It's immediately south of I-10, on the top of the Odd Fellows building.

If it was restrung, it was because 1230 went to co-owned 1580 (the
southeast of the six towers there) before there was any significant
testing of the 1230/1580 diplex, but that diplex wouldn't cover
Koreatown, so it was moved back, thereby requiring a reinstallation of
the inverted L.

I used to pass KGFJ every workday for a decade.

The signal was not circular, but somewhat like an ellipse.

When the contract for Korean programming is up, KYPA may move back in
with 1580.

There was an earlier, failed installation of 1230 into one of KRKD's two
rooftop towers at the Arcade Building (1150's original site), but that
couldn't meet minimum Class C efficiency, I was told.