[BC] Long wire antennas

Scott Fybush scott at fybush.com
Tue Jan 15 23:52:15 CST 2008

PeterH5322 wrote:
>> 1230 is correct - KYPA, ex-KGFJ...actually just north of the 10, south
>> of downtown. I'm told the antenna was just restrung in the last few months.
>
> It's immediately south of I-10, on the top of the Odd Fellows building.

Whoops - got my geography turned around. Yes, it's just south of I-10.

> If it was restrung, it was because 1230 went to co-owned 1580 (the
> southeast of the six towers there) before there was any significant
> testing of the 1230/1580 diplex, but that diplex wouldn't cover
> Koreatown, so it was moved back, thereby requiring a reinstallation of
> the inverted L.

KYPA has been back on the Odd Fellows rooftop for four or five years
now. But the antenna just went through a full reconstruction within the
last few months, which would suggest that Multicultural intends to keep
the station there for the long term.

If what I'm told is correct, this is the second time the antenna has
been rebuilt - the original 1927 antenna was replaced in the seventies,
apparently.

> There was an earlier, failed installation of 1230 into one of KRKD's two
> rooftop towers at the Arcade Building (1150's original site), but that
> couldn't meet minimum Class C efficiency, I was told.

Indeed - and how odd is it that Los Angeles, where the new is constantly
venerated at the expense of history, should be home to several of the
oldest AM sites in America?