[BC] PCB and other hazards

Milton Holladay miltron at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 16 01:00:05 CST 2008

I found a leaky non-PCB capacitor just a few days ago; it has a smell more
like lighter or dry cleaning fluid--not very strong, though.
As to the Bird load, I had a 2500 watt unit that went way low in resistance.
Opening it up revealed that the green fluid had somehow gone bad and had
transferred some of the silver plating from the cone to the resistor. Bird
said that they no longer used that type fluid and that the properties of the
new type required a different design of cone and resistor to meets specs at
very high frequencies......