[BC] RDS numbers?

Bernie Courtney bcourtney at metrobcast.com
Fri Jan 18 19:18:23 CST 2008

At a certain NYC station a jock, who will remain nameless, created a 'song' in the stations automation system that contained no audio, just a few seconds of recorded silence.  This allowed him to go edit the RDS text associated with that song, drag it into a log, and 'play' it, sending whatever string he entered out to the RDS encoder.

This was used most frequently to display the cell phone number of a randomly selected staffer, usually late at night, so anybody in a car (presumably with a cell phone not far away) would see "201-555-1212".

Having been on the receiving end of this prank, I can tell you more people have RDS then one might think LOL

Bernie