[BC] Re: Job Opening * Buffalo, NY

SteveOrdinetz hykker at wildblue.net
Sat Jan 19 15:26:59 CST 2008

k7cr wrote:
>Living in the Seattle area, I will second Scott's comment about housing costs.
>The average home in Seattle is about 400,000.
>
>All of this has something to do with the level of activity in the
>market. Seattle
>and it's surrounding cities are growing at an incredible
>rate.  Seattle and Bellevue
>are a forest of tower cranes.  Something that you don't see in Rochester or
>Buffalo.   WNY is a nice place (been there many times) but their cities market
>rank continues to go down.   On the flip side, they are indeed nice places.
>An - no- it does not snow all the time in Buffalo, nor does it rain
>all the time in
>Seattle.   A serious person will get by the urban legends.

I spent a few years in Seattle back in the mid 70s.  While it doesn't
necessarily rain all the time, you can pretty much forget about
seeing the sun from approximately mid-October until Easter.  I moved
there in December, and was about ready to slit my wrists by
February.  Gradually got used to the lack of winter sunshine by my
2nd or 3rd winter.  The summers there are beautiful, if a little on
the cool side.  Even the "rain" isn't rain like we know it in most of
the country...it's something a little more than mist but not quite drizzle.
I would imagine though that with the amount of growth that area has
experienced, the quality of life must be diminishing with crowding,
traffic, rising taxes (which were never cheap to begin with),  $400k
for the average house??!?  I can't believe the average salary is 6
figures...how do people afford it?
I'm content in my little corner of northern New England.  The winters
are kinda long, but as Tim Sample says "if you can't take the
winters, you don't deserve the summers".